What do you do with a basil surplus? Make lots of pesto! We’ve used it as a spread, dip, pasta sauce, and marinade. Sometimes for breakfast I add a spoonful to a medium boiled egg with avocado, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
- 2 c packed fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ c pine nuts, cashews, or other nuts
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ c Parmesan, grated (optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
Put ingredients in a food processor and blend. Adjust ingredients according to taste.
- Marinade chicken in pesto for several hours.
- Top with tomatoes and peppers.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.