This got the “very good” rating from DY :)
Chicken Pot Pie
(Pie Crust recipe below)
Ingredients (Original recipe makes 1 – 9 inch pie)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
Notes: You can substitute the veggies with others like green peas or broccoli. You can substitute chicken broth for water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes. You can buy pie crusts or make your own (see below).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
- In a saucepan, cook onions until soft. Add carrots, potatoes, celery.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano.
- In a separate saucepan over medium heat, add broth and milk. Slowly add flour and stir quickly with a whisk to prevent clumping. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Before adding broth mixture to chicken, check how much liquid is in the chicken mixture. This depends on how often you turn the chicken while cooking. Add just enough so you get a thick mixture. If it’s still too watery, mix a tablespoon of corn starch in a bit of cold water and add to chicken and veggies.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Ingredients Original recipe makes 1 single crust pie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or vegetable oil substitute, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.